Explanation of Tables
- Calculated using the Fresnel equations for a semi-infinite medium.
- The chemical formula is required here. Note that this is case sensitive
(e.g. CO for Carbon Monoxide vs Co for Cobalt).
- If a negative value is entered, the chemical formula
is checked against a list of some
If no match is found
then the density of the first element in the formula is used.
- Grazing Angle
- In keeping with the standard notation for the x-ray region the incidence
angle is measured relative to the surface (NOT the surface normal).
- The effect of roughness is included in the approximation given
by the Nevot-Croce factor.
- Pol = 1 corresponds to s-polarization (electric field perpendicular
to the plane of incidence). Pol=-1 corresponds to p-polarization
(electric field in the plane of incidence). Pol=0 for unpolarized
- A GIF plot may be generated for quick viewing of the results.
If you need anything fancier, the results are provided as a text file
for use with your favorite plotting package.